• Follow @westsidewired on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat to get updates on news and sports.

Westside Journalism

Photo Gallery/RECAP: Varsity boys and girls swim teams place first and third at Metro Conference

Lauren Kugler, Staff Writer

Westside’s varsity swim and dive competed in Metro Conference Championships on Friday and Saturday. With the State meet approaching fast, this was the athletes last chance to make qualifying times to be in the State meet. Not only was the pressures to win on the athlete’s minds, but also the pressure to hopefully swim fast enough to secure their spots on Westside’s 2018 State team.

At a meet like Metro, Friday is prelims so the athletes main goal is to make in the top 16 so they can swim in finals to score points the following day. The higher a swimmer places, the more points is received for the team.

There were many swims from Westside swimmers at the Metro meet, including the 100 freestyle with a first place finish from senior Jon Gouge,r and a second place finish from sophomore Thomas Lundin.

“We’ve been working really hard all year and going into the 100 free me and Jon were ranked one and two so it was a really big goal of ours to go one and two again during finals,” Lundin said.

Westside boys finished first, breaking Creighton Prep’s ten year winning streak; the girls finished third.

“We swam really well on Friday and came back and swam better on Saturday across the board,” head swimming coach Doug Krecklow said. “Too often [teams] struggle to come back and swim well on Saturday.”

The teams are preparing to give their all for the State meet approaching in the near future.

“[These last two weeks leading up to state] we will work on getting ready mentally. We’ve done all the hard work and now we have to rest,” Krecklow said. “Most importantly we’ve got to prepare mentally so that everything that we’ve done physically is going to be ready to go emotionally and mentally.”

Varsity swim and dive will compete in at Nebraska State High School Championships on Feb. 22-24 at the Bob Devaney Sports Center in Lincoln.

Photo Gallery by: Alex Estopare

About the Writer
Lauren Kugler, Staff Writer
Hi my name is Lauren Kugler! I am a Staff Writer for Westside Wired this year. I am currently a sophomore and this is my second year on Wired. If you have any questions or comments please contact me at [email protected]
  • Photo Gallery/RECAP: Varsity boys and girls swim teams place first and third at Metro Conference

News

West Campus Changes Being Made

News

Varsity Volleyball Gains New Head Coach

News

Congratulations to the 2018-2019 Student Council

News

Freshman Wins International Contest with Video on Child Marriage

News

Student death results in memorial, administration responds

Feature

Oh the places they’ll go

Feature

PHOTO GALLERY: Westside Fashion Design Show

Feature

Senior dance team members look forward to dancing at the next level

Feature

Senior student athletes receive Masterson award

Feature

Sparkles team members Invited to Cheer outside stadium at Spring Game

The student news site of Westside High School.